Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can of this, can of that...recipe!




So....am I the only one who always want to eat/cook warm soups and chili's when it is super cold outside???
Well with all the recent chatter about our "arctic blast" coming in the next few days, Mag and I made a mad dash to Wal-Mart today to stock up before the cold hits. (Wal-Mart was a zoo!) While I was there I decided "homemade stew" and "potato soup" were gonna be on the menu this week.

Tonight I am making homemade beef stew, and thought I would post the recipe. It is really easy, and last for a few days or feeds lots of people.

Here you go...

Homeade Beef Stew
1 large can "homestyle large cut Veg-all" (has potato, celery, carrots)
1 can corn
1 can cut greeen beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans (can use any beans of your choice--garbanzo, pinto, navy etc)
1 can tomatoe sauce
1/4 - 1/2 chopped onion
1-2 lb. ground beef or turkey
"Dash of" to taste--salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper if you prefer.

Combine all "cans of", including their juice or liquid. Add chopped onions and spices. Bring to boil then add raw beef or turkey in tiny pinches. I just pinch off a small piece about dime to quarter size of raw meat and add to the boiling mixture. To add 1 lb, I do this over about 5 minutes...while stirring intermittently. Boil for 5-10 more minutes to ensure that meat is fully cooked. Let simmer in a crock pot or on the stove for an hour or for the day. Enjoy with cornbread or crackers!

This recipe is great because it is fast, easy and all in 1 single pot. Small mess and quick clean up. Also, this recipe can be tailored to you and your families individual tastes and diet. Sub in whatever are your fave veggies and take out whatever you don't like...you know? You can't mess it up! You should tailor the seasonings to your taste as well. I love a little spice, so that is why I add the red pepper...but you can leave it out.

P.S I always try to buy the "no salt added" cans of veggies and sauce. The less extra sodium the better for our health.

Love to all,
Leah

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love a can of, can of recipe. That's my kind of cooking! Ha! I have a similar recipe, but it calls for stew meat instead of ground beef and V8 Juice instead of the tomato sauce.

Brrrr... it's getting really cold outside. Soup weather is upon us!