Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The crafty bug...bit me today

Okay...totally random, I know. But it is true. I got the craziest whim to be crafty today. I was so proud of my creations and deals, I decided to share with all of you blogger buddies.

First, since we moved into our new home, there has been this cool, aged hook right outside our front door from the previous owners. For months I thought about what to put on that hook...yes months. Silly, right. Well I had thought about that I wanted something welcoming and something that let people know we were Christians. How do you think it turned out...

This entire little sign cost me less than $10.00! Thanks to good ole Hob-Lob (aka Hobby Lobby). Everything I used was in their 50% off sale or in the clearance section. I bought the wood sign in their unfinished wood pieces section and painted it myself. The script are just stick on words. It was a set for $3.00. Anybody can do peel and stick. The super sassy leopard ribbon was on the clearance section for $1.00 for 10 yards.

Now when you come through our front door...you will know our prayer...that God would bless our home and all that enter!

Next, was a little Easter decor. I have been so frustrated not to find any REAL Easter decor. Real meaning, that Jesus' death and resurection are the real reason we celebrate Easter. Everything is bunnies and eggs...which I think is super cute for a spring theme. But not the Easter decor for me. Soooooo, I had to improvise and get crafty. I found this lite purple cross at Hob-lob, 50% off of course, for $4.00 and used my trusty paint pen to put my own little Easter saying and favorite corresponding scripture on it. Jesus is our reason for this Easter season, right! It was a great compliment to my other Spring decor.
Next...I painted a few of the "throw away" plastic pots that some flowers had come in. I painted them with the same paint I used on my sign. Then bordered them with some cutie-pa-tootie lady bug ribbon from Hob-lob. I stuck the ribbon on with my trusty hot glue gun and then planted some petunias in them. To finish I added an "H" for Hunt with my paint pen. Pretty darn cheap...and a fun addition to our otherwise drab and boring back porch.

Last, and least...least money that is...are some flowers I got at Home Depot. They were on the "dead" cart...to be thrown in the dumpster. Do these look dead to you? Uh,,,, NO! So they said, they are free, except you have to pay for the container they come in....grand total...$0.58 a piece...! Gorgeous flowers for my front porch for only a few dollars!
I do love a good bargain! These days, with this economy, we have to make the most of the money God has blessed us with, right! Sometimes it is just fun and rewarding to be thrifty, too. All of these projects I did in one afternoon. It is amazing how speedy I can be while my sweet love Maggie is napping.
Thanks for letting me be a show off. Not normally a trait of mine (I hope anyways).
You have to show it, when the crafty bug bites you!
Let me see your projects...

Love to all,
Leah

4 comments:

Cristina said...

How cute! I don't really do the 'crafty' thing much. I do like to paint things on the wall though..... I painted the kids play room with Mickey Mouse stuff. My post from November 11th has some of the pictures of the characters. I have added more detail since then, so I need to update them. Are you a stay at home mom now or are you still working?

Brent and Abbey said...

Hob-Lob... you are cracking me up girl! And I KNOW you got ALL 10 yards of the leopard print ribbon (to be used at a later crafty date!) Good work!

Your "dead" flowers are WONDERFUL! Makes me want to get some color in my yard-- pronto! Good find!

Sarah said...

I think that you are pullin' my leg when you say you aren't crafty. You did a great job on all of your projects!

Well done, my friend!

chelsea said...

very nice crafts, they are awesome and i am very impressed with you. and not everyone can peal and stick