Monday, October 26, 2009

Yumm-o...it is a "Chili" kind of day!

From my kitchen to yours...it is a "Chili" kind of day!

Cool, breezy and rainy days make me want to have warm and wholesome kinds of food like chilis and stews. I decided that we needed to have Chili tonight for dinner. I love my recipe so much, I thought I would pass it on. The recipe is one I got from my mother! Hope you and yours...enjoy it too!


Ingredients...
1-2 lbs. ground beef (you can also substitute ground turkey or venison)
1 large onion

Brown meat and onion together, salt and pepper to taste and pour off excess grease

ADD
2 cans of diced or stewed tomatoes (depending on if you like big or small chunks of tomato)
2 cans of pinto or "ranch style" beans
2 cans of tomato sauce
2-3 Tbsp. chili powder (depending on if you like it mild or spicy)...I use 3, ha!
2 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder or garlic salt (I use garlic powder to avoid excess salt)
1/2 tsp. red pepper

Combine all ingredients, and let simmer about 1 hour---or longer. It is one of those great recipes that can sit on the stove for hours. This makes a fairly large pot, serving probably 8 people or great leftovers.

I usually add about 1 cup of water to make mine a little "soupier", too. If you like your chili thick then, omit the added water.

This is great with corn bread or saltines---and I like to top mine in the bowl with a little shredded cheddar cheese!

Enjoy!

P.S This recipe is for obviously...a tomato-y version. I know some people don't usually have tomatoes in their chili. We like tomatoes in our family!

The final version!

1 comment:

Paul and Nina Treat said...

Thanks for sharing Leah! I'm going to try your recipe for sure. :-)