Thursday, November 10, 2011

Our Buddy...

If your not a pet lover, you don't have to read on. But if you love animals...this is a tiny tribute to our little daschund Buddy.

Two weeks ago, on Tuesday October 25th our sweet daschund Buddy died. He was a precious little addition to our family. We rescued him from the pound in 2007, after his previous owners had moved and left him for dead in their back yard. He was skin and bones, wormey and mistreated when we adopted him. He lived 4 good years with us, and died a happy, fat and loved doggy.

Some of our favorite things about Buddy was how snuggley he was. If you were sitting on the floor or the couch, he wanted to be with you there. He fit perfectly in the crook of your knees when laying down. He loved to burrow himself under blankets, too. In fact, he had a blankie that he slept under every night in the crate. He was playful, a lover and crazy about Maggie and I. He had a small body, but a big heart. His brown eyes melted my heart. I often called him my little shadow, because wherever I was...he followed.

We don't know why or what caused his death. He had been throwing up from time to time (maybe once a day) for a few weeks. He still ate twice a day, drank and pottied normal. So I wasn't too worried, every dog I have ever had threw up from time to time. But over the weekend, before he died we noticed that he had lost his "pep-in-his-step". He seemed to be sleeping a little more, and didn't have as much energy. On Monday night late, I noticed that his tongue looked a little pale, and I knew that was not normal or good. So I made an appointment for him the next day with our vet on Tuesday at 4:40. I found him dead, in the crate, curled up in his blankie at 3.

I was super surprised/shocked. I had no idea he was that sick. He had been out in the house like normal not even 2 hours earlier. He had picked up Sadie's crums from her lunch at 1, and stole a vanilla wafer from her too. He barked at the UPS man aroun 1:30...and then went and got in the crate and  just...died. :(

I panicked and called my bestie and my hubby. They calmed me down, and encouraged me. Todd came home as soon as he could.

We went to the parents, who live in the country to bury him later that afternoon. We buried him in his collar, wrapped in his blankie in his bed...right next to a sunflower plant.

He was as sweet of a dog, as I have ever had.
I loved him, and am thankful he was a part of our family for 4 years.

I am so glad that the Lord created such sweet companions for us to enjoy.
Buddy, such a handsome guy!
Awe, those brown eyes!

This was typical Buddy...right in the middle of whatever we were doing. In this pic, it was playing Hungry-hungry hippos on Christmas morning.

Love this picture too. He would ride in our bike trailer with Mags and keep her company.

I have always felt, the best way to heal an achey heart over the loss of a pet...is to get another one ASAP. So, we did. His name is Jack and he is a doll. Stay tuned in a few days, for a post with pictures...to meet him and hear his story.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Leah! I'm so sorry for your loss. : ( I both cried and laughed at your post. He definitely made the most of his last few hours. I hope this new little guy brings as much joy and happiness to your family as buddy did!

Sarah said...

My kids miss Buddy so much - and so do I! He left his sweet little paw print on all of our hearts! :-)

I'm so glad that he got to spend his last four years with you! He lived a wonderful life with the Hunts, for sure! He loved you and you loved him - that was very obvious.

I'm grateful that you have Jack now to help ease your pain. He is the perfect edition to your four legged crew. ;-)

Mindy said...

Leah...I'm so sorry. You know how I feel about those little daschaund's too. Reminds me of our little Ty. It broke my heart to read your post, but know Buddy is up in puppy heaven looking down on yall.

Cheryl said...

Oh, Leah, I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell by the pics that he loved on you and your girls and I can only imagine how much y'all loved on him. My puppy-loving heart is hurting for you.